10 Hearty Soups and Stews for Fall
Who doesn't love a good bowl of soup when the weather starts to chill? More times than not it involves a single pot — adding ingredients, simmering, stirring and eventually smelling the fruits of your labor. Next thing you know, you're peeling off layers, toasting some crusty bread and collapsing in a chair before a piping-hot bowl, knowing that all the time invested in slow simmering was worth it. Today I've rounded up a variety of known and new recipes to welcome the autumn season.
- Navy bean soup is one that I recall fondly from childhood. The beans are soaked overnight, then slowly simmered with ham pieces the next day. Believe or not, a squirt of ketchup and a dash of hot sauce brings it all together. This navy bean soup and bacon come together in the crock pot while you are at work, and becomes a nice reward upon returning home in the evening.
- If you're short on time, this elegant and flavorful cuban chicken black bean & kale soup with fried plantains comes together in about 40 minutes.
- Roasted tomato and red pepper soup — because you cannot have a soup-recipe roundup without some tomato soup. And this one is awesome.
- This creamy butternut sweet potato soup not only tastes good, but is gluten-free, vegan, paleo and low calorie.
- I bet if you walk to your pantry, you have that opened bag containing about 1 cup of lentils that have been there for a while. A perfect excuse to make this chipotle sweet potato and lentil chili.
- Same as the tomato soup above — no soup roundup is complete without French onion soup. This recipe is a little different in that it contains marsala wine.
- This is a south-Indian home-style fish curry recipe that will probably send you to the store in search of spices you have never seen or used. But it's worth the effort. Your house will be smelling incredible by the time this is ready to eat.
- There's just something about biting into soft, pillowy buttermilk biscuits — make them in this chicken and dumplings soup.
- Combining shrimp, chicken, sausage and creole spice — how can this gumbonot warm you up on a cool afternoon or evening?
- Crab bisque is such a simple yet elegant soup and pairs nicely with Chenin Blanc, the ultimate shoulder-season white.
While not only for fall, these soup recipes highlight the best of the season! Which will you be making?