10 Sides For Any Labor Day Gathering
Labor Day is that bittersweet end to the season, but I try to to hold on for as long as possible. There are technically still about 25 days of summer left, but with the cooler evenings, kids getting back to school, and football in the air, there is a natural changing of the seasonal guard. Still — there are also farmers' markets brimming with late summer bounty and those last-minute gatherings by the grill, pool or beach before we toss in the proverbial towel. So refill your wine rack with some great Labor Day wines, and let's put together a few dishes for enjoying with family and friends in summer's final days.
- This shrimp and pasta salad screams fresh and simple, and it is sure to be a crowd-pleaser for years to come.
- If you cannot find nectarines, peaches are certainly in season and work well for this take on an Italian favorite: panzanella salad with homemade garlic basil croutons.
- It's just not a party until someone shows up with the potato salad! Red potatoes are perfect for this garlic-herb potato salad.
- Three-ingredient s'mores tart? Um, yeah.
- Cucumbers are in season, and this cucumber salad with spicy Thai dressing recipe is vegan approved.
- Not just any fries, these are oven-baked sweet potato fries with a spicy srirachi mayo. Bonus: They're gluten-free.
- Sweet 'n' smoky bourbon baked beans — the perfect side for just about anything coming off the grill.
- Frozen peas can be used in this recipe, but it is summer and there is a reason it's called a fresh pea salad.
- In charge of cocktails for you shindig? Plums are everywhere in the markets, and a summer plum smash is sure to be a hit!
- Watch everyone dive into this big bowl of roasted corn with manchego and lime to get their fill of late summer corn.