Light and Crisp Italian Wine Cookies
Like a wine biscotti, these cookies are perfect with your morning coffee or tea – or even a glass of red wine. The recipe is so simple you'll want to make a second batch right away! It only calls for five ingredients, although you can add a few toppings if you'd like (more on that below). We used the 2015 Datura Riverina Australia Shiraz in the cookies and it was a perfect match, but you can also replace the red wine with a dry white wine.Ingredients:
- 3 cups of flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar, plus 1/4 cup for the topping
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup dry red wine
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the flour, 3 tablespoons sugar and baking powder in a large bowl.
- Stir in the oil and wine, and continue mixing the dough with your hands until just blended.
- Shape the dough into 5-inch cylinders, not too thick. Roll them in the sugar topping. Bend the cylinders into a circle shape, and pinch the ends together.
- Place on a cookie sheet (they don't expand very much, so close together is fine) and bake for 25 minutes or until golden-brown on the bottom. Once cooled, the cookies should be hard on the outside.
I added some extra toppings to the batch that's shown above. You can roll the dough in chopped or slivered almonds or dark chocolate pieces when you're rolling on the sugar.